The Ottawa County Safety Council was formed in 2007 with one goal – to increase safety awareness in the community. Our Vision is to provide valuable safety information to members and the community, in an effort to prevent accidents in the workplace. BWC’s Division of Safety & Hygiene sponsors 82 safety councils across the state, including Ottawa County. The Ottawa County Safety Council is sponsored by the Ottawa County Improvement Corporation. We provide our business community with quality programs addressing occupational safety and health, workers’ compensation and risk management education and information. We keep our members informed about new techniques, products and services, and provide a thorough knowledge of additional services.
Ergonomics for Office & Computer Use
Identify risk factors for computer use at work and home, recommendations to reduce discomfort, and tips for stretching and increased comfort.
Speaker: Julie Reynolds, BWC Ergonomics Consultant
September 13 at 11:00am at
Gary Anderson Competition Center
**Please RSVP for all meetings so we know
how many to plan for lunch.
Who We Are
Enroll in local safety council by July 31 of the given year.
Attend 10 meetings or events between July 1 and June 30 of the given years.
- At least eight of the 10 meetings must be safety council meetings. Up to two of the 10 can be external educational options outlined below, but all 10 can be safety council meetings.
- A person can represent only one policy number with their attendance at a meeting.
- Employer has the option to gain credit for up to two meetings through attendance at BWC’s Division of Safety & Hygiene (DSH) safety training courses or industry-specific training.
- It is the employer’s responsibility to submit documentation to his or her safety council by June 30 of the given year, for attendance at non-safety council training or events to qualify.
- Documentation must be an official certificate of attendance or transcript.
CEO or a qualified senior-level manager must attend any one safety council sponsored function or meeting.
- CEO attendance counts as credit toward one of the 10 required meetings.
- If a CEO is representing multiple policy numbers, his/her attendance fulfills the CEO attendance requirement for all policies, but counts as meeting credit for only one policy number.
Submit semiannual reports for the current calendar year.
Rebates are available for Non-Group Rated employers, Group Experience Rated employers and Group Retrospective Rated employers. Self-Insured employers are not eligible for rebates, but are encouraged to attend Safety Council meetings to stay current on trends and to help promote safe workplaces throughout the county.
- Employers meeting all safety council rebate eligibility requirements that are not enrolled in a group-rating program will earn a 2% participation rebate on their premium and the potential of an additional 2% performance bonus.
- Employers meeting all safety council rebate eligibility requirements that are also enrolled in a group-experience-rating program have the potential to earn a 2% performance bonus.
- Employers meeting all safety council rebate eligibility requirements that are also enrolled in a group-retrospective-rating program will earn a 2% participation rebate.
To earn a performance bonus, employers must reduce either the severity or frequency of injuries in their workplace by 10% or remain at zero.
For more information, download the FY17 Rebate Fact Sheet.
The annual membership cost is $120.00 per year (July 1 to June 30 of the given years). If your company is interested in joining and is self-insured (not eligible to receive the BWC Rebate), your company would be eligible to receive a discounted membership rate. For questions, please contact Jessica Kowalski: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a new member, you must complete the Ohio Safety Council Enrollment Form. Email to email@example.com or fax to 419-898-6244.
Meetings are held on the third Wednesday of every month, normally during lunchtime. The location is held at Magruder Hospital in Port Clinton. Starting in July, the new meeting location will be held at the CMP Gary Anderson Competition Center.
A program related to safety (i.e. Claim Management; Health & Wellness; Construction, Fire, & Water safety, etc.) is presented at each meeting. A member or guest is allowed time at the beginning of the meeting for a “Company Spotlight” to educate members about a new product or service that they provide for the safety industry. Time is provided before and after the program to network with other safety representatives.
11:00 A.M. – 11:30 A.M. Registration/Networking/Lunch
11:30 A.M. – 12:15 P.M. Speaker/Presentation
12:15 P.M. – 12:30 P.M. Networking
The following is a schedule of FREE safety training courses being offered by Ohio BWC. These courses, in addition to providing excellent training opportunities, qualify for “external training” credit for those companies that participate in the BWC rebate program. Registration is available at www.bwclearningcenter.com or by calling 1-800-644-6292.
Courses listed by location
Oak Harbor – page 27
BGSU – page 28
200th RED HORSE Squadron OHANG
A. T. Emmett, LLC
ABCO Fire, LLC
Ackerman Industrial Equipment
Alpha Coatings, Inc.
Bay Point Management Corporation
C Nelson Mfg.
Catawba Island Marina
City of Port Clinton
D & G Focht Construction Co.
Danbury Local School
DeAngelo Brothers LLC
Graymont Dolime (OH) Inc.
Holcomb Enterprises LLC
J Williams Concrete & Excavating LLC
Jeff Kuras Excavating
Ken Gill Construction, LLC
Machining Technologies Inc.
Materion Brush Inc.
Mavin Inv, Bassett’s Market
Mid-County Joint Ambulance District
Mike-Tell Chair, Inc. dba Bassett’s Market
Northcoast Property Management
Northern Manufacturing Company
Oak Harbor Area Chamber of Commerce
Ohler & Holzhauer Inc.
Ottawa County Improvement Corporation
Otterbein North Shore
Port Clinton Area Chamber of Commerce
Port Clinton Manufacturing Co.
Portage Fire District
Riverside Machine & Automation Inc.
Riverview Industries, Inc.
Terra State Community College
Tiger Material Handling, Corp.
Village of Genoa
Village of Marblehead
Village of Oak Harbor
Village of Put in Bay